Saturday, November 23, 2013

Ghost Brothers of Darkland Clounty, best

On November 3, the play "The Ghost Brothers of Darkland County"-- play written by Stephen King, with music written by John Mellencamp -- was right here in Davenport, Iowa. Because I was leaving on November 6 for my EPIC ROAD TRIP -- I had more or less decided I shouldn't go (saving my money, y'know).


THEN, a week before the show -- my niece Amy called to say there was an offer on Groupon. A Two for one deal -- two tickets for $40. WHAT SHOULD SHE DO??  BUY FOUR TICKETS, OF COURSE -- I am in....and excited.....
Cale, Amy and Garrett in front of the Adler Theater box office.


Here we are, right before the performance, in the lobby of the Hotel Blackhawk, next door to the Adler Theater.


We had a few minutes to look around the hotel. SO PRETTY...


Amy even gave my some phone camera lessons...I didn't know I could do a reverse selfie...


Garret thought I took way too many pictures...


WHAT A GREAT NIGHT. First of all -- it is always a pleasure for me to spend time with Amy's family. I took a chicken and biscuits supper up to their house before our big theater night. Amy didn't tell the boys in advance where we were going or what we were doing. So they were guessing all the way into town. Cale is the musical one in our family...he is a wonderful guitarist. So we hoped this would be a perfect activity for them. PLUS -- the topic itself is about two brothers who argue and fight...(well, I don't want to ruin it for you).

This play was something really special. First of all -- I am a big fan of Stephen King. His horror stuff terrifies me -- but his writing is wonderful. The Green Mile, Delores Clairborne, The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon. His book "WRITING, A Memoir of the Craft" is the best book I ever read about writing.

The story behind Ghost Brothers is inspired by a true incident. John Mellencamp bought a property in rural Indiana that had a cabin on it -- where, 60 years ago, two brothers had an argument over a girl. One brother was killed -- and the other brother left with the girl -- and they were both killed in a car accident later on that night.

Stephen King and John Mellencamp worked on this project for 13 years. And this fall, it was touring -- to only 12 cities. AND DAVENPORT, IOWA WAS one of them. I am so glad we went. Emily Skinner sang one of the female leads -- and I saw her when she was in Side Show on Broadway in 1997. She has a beautiful voice and this night was such an pleasure for me...
This night was so special. Such a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. I cannot believe it almost didn't happen...
So -- if there's something in your life that you are hesitating about right now. Remember -- Nike had it right. JUST DO IT.

No comments:

Post a Comment