Tuesday, January 14, 2014

2013 Christmas Dress

Christmas 2013 is now just a memory. We had a wonderful time here in Iowa...no doubt about it. I started a new tradition for myself -- a Christmas dress. Although I made one last year, it's not a tradition until you do it two years in a row...

And it is SO MUCH FUN to have a unique CHRISTMAS dress to wear to special occasions. This one started off as a wacky tacky t-shirt, then I added a long velvet (mostly) skirt. You know how much I enjoy the ying and the yang of life...

When I was looking for pictures of the dress, I realized I had a LOT of special holiday events!!
The morning of Lillian's first dance recital, I wore my Christmas dress (the girls loved it!). I took Memphis and Lilly out for breakfast. We were headed back to my house so they could get dressed up for their Nutcracker adventure...
My sisters Ronda and Deena.  We went to the Adler Theater to see Mama Mia!! ( A Christmas gift from Deena's children)
My best picture of me and John -- Christmas 2013.
The dress started with a t-shirt of dancing flamingos...
I cut the shirt off and added a pink band (with elastic inside) to make an empire waist effect.
Some signature t-shirt fringe...
At the bottom of the skirt -- there is a reindeer running on a treadmill. (the words say Healthy Holiday)
I slapped this piece of pink over a mistake...
We actually INVITED OUR HUSBANDS to our Book Club Christmas party! We did a potluck dinner at Linda P's house. Sandy, Linda P, me and Linda K. Another fun occasion to wear my 2013 Christmas dress!!


When I stop to think about it (which this blog often makes me do) -- I need to thank my book clubbers for inspiring me to MAKE a Christmas dress in the first place. Last year, it was Sandy's idea to have a "couples" Christmas party. (As you know -- the whole point of a once a week book club is to NOT include the husbands.) On the day of the party -- at the last minute, I cut up some old Christmas t-shirts and made a maxi-dress. They were so complimentary and it was so much fun to wear -- I was inspired to make FOUR of them for the 2013 Sew Expo. Long t-shirt dresses with pithy sayings became my sewing passion. SO THANKS AGAIN, GIRLS..!!

The question is -- how many people do you have in your life who applaud just about anything you do?

So -- hey -- if your friends aren't your best cheerleaders -- you need to reassess.

2 comments:

  1. I am a quilter and not a sewer so I am just amazed at how you did this. I so want to pick up garment sewing as well. Keep up the great work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Quilting Susie...but there is nothing amazing about my sewing. ...most of it STARTS off with a recycled t-shirt. I am about to combine my love of all-things-t-shirt with an actual QUILT...stay tuned...

    ReplyDelete