Thursday, March 27, 2014

Sewing For Dylan

If you're lucky, your life includes a large cast of loving, involved characters...sisters, brothers, children, grandchildren, friends, aunts, uncles, neighbors, cousins, sewing sisters -- well, you know who I'm talking about. I refer to this crew as "My People". They are the ones who are there for you, no matter what.  They listen, they know you, and you know you can call at 3:00 AM and say, I'm coming to your house and I'm bringing my dog.  Yes, ...these are my people..."

Over the years -- you've met MOST OF MY PEOPLE...
Of course, my cousin Kim and her daughter Carrie...
At Matt's (Kim's son) wedding last fall -- Carrie, husband Steve, Dylan and daughter Elizabeth.
Most of the time -- I see Carrie like this.  Every Monday she comes to my house to help me clean and organize...(here, trying to convince Elizabeth to wear a fake leopard fur coat)
Sometimes, the kids come with Carrie -- and Dylan, in particular,  LOVED my shower curtain...
Remember when I had to make this modification? Some random t-shirts, with fringe, OF COURSE...
Dylan knew the Chuck Norris quotes by heart...
After this wedding last fall, 10-year old Dylan was diagnosed with cancer...
HOLY COW...what this young family has been through the last six months.  It was a terrible ordeal. Surgeries, long stays in the hospital, chemo, spinal taps, being away from home.  Dylan was a very, very sick little boy. And for those of us who love this family -- it was hard to know what to do.

It was such a horrible time, and I wanted them to know they were in my thoughts.   I kept thinking WHAT CAN I DO FOR DYLAN??    It was a brutal winter, Dylan was always cold...Can you see what I made??
Dylan was at the University of Iowa Hospital -- so I started off with a fleece snuggler...then, of course, I ADDED a little pizzaaz that I knew he would enjoy.
I enjoyed searching t-shirt mountain for just the right sentiments...
I cut the Chuck Norris panel out of my shower curtain, then positioned it upside down, so Dylan could read it when he wore the snuggler...
Then, I made a University of Iowa t-shirt totebag...
The bag itself was useful -- Carrie was always carrying things in and out of the hospital room...
IT IS WITH GREAT JOY that I write this email, to say that Dylan just finished his FINAL CHEMO treatment -- and the doctors believe they got ALL of his tumor during his last surgery. They have done tests, and saw NO signs of active cancer, so his future looks bright.

Many of you were aware of Dylan's situation -- if I was in the room with you for five minutes, I'm afraid I blurted it out.  And I know you have kept him in your prayers, and asked for updates...THANKS SO MUCH for your kindness and concern. It was a rotten, horrible time...and, fingers crossed, Dylan is cancer-free and on the road to a complete recovery.

Sewing is what I do. When it comes to being creative -- it's who I am. And I have always loved fixing things. Over the years, I've done a lot of sewing/fixing for Carrie's young family. I have mended, hemmed, and patched their favorite things. Steve's blue jeans, Dylan's new school pants...and last fall, after Matt's wedding, Elizabeth;s beautiful white dress. During the dancing portion of the evening -- the cute little overskirt was ripped away and completely separated from the tafetta underskirt. Elizabeth LOVED that dress -- and it would have had a lot of playing dress-up value...

The organza skirt was shredded in some places, and Carrie figured it was a complete loss. But Elizabeth INSISTED she bring it to me the Monday after the wedding....and I was proud and delighted that Elizabeth thought I could FIX ANYTHING...

I wish I had taken a "before" picture of the ruined pieces of her little white dress.... But -- here's the AFTER...
Lillian couldn't resist trying on Elizabeth's repaired dress...

1 comment:

  1. So many things to appreciate in this post, Rita! Delighted to hear that Dylan is doing so well, what a blessing! The dress? It looks perfect, what an excellent job!!! Yes, you are creative and it's so fun to see what you sew up...lots of fun and joy!

    ReplyDelete