Thursday, April 10, 2014

Favorite Movie List

I am not a big movie watcher.  And so many current movies are absolute crap.  Too much product placement, too much blood and guts, not enough character development and no story that makes sense.   Often, at the end of two hours, I want EVERYBODY IN THE MOVIE to die. 

Recently, somebody asked about my favorite movies.  I was not surprised that nothing too recent made my list....

This is in no particular order...THAT would be way too much work.  But, if the standard is how much I was moved or changed -- the #1 movie for me would have to be To Kill a Mockingbird.

I absolutely cannot wait to watch this movie with Lillian one day. I consider it life-altering...and who wouldn't admire Atticus Finch??

Then, of course, my favorite Christmas movie -- which is really excellent no matter WHAT time of year -- It’s a Wonderful Life.  Such good lessons about how one person can make a difference...

Last of the Mohicans -- hottest love scene EVER.  Thank you, Daniel Day Lewis and Madeline Stowe.  Best put-down:..Cora Munro says,"Duncan, you are a man with a few admirable qualities, but taken as a whole, I was wrong to have thought so highly of you."

The Remains Of The Day.  You will cry.  THIS is Anthony Hopkins...I haven't seen it in years -- but would love to...
As Good As It Gets.  Best Jack Nicholson EVER.  There is a line (after completely messing up his budding relationship with Helen Hunt)..."she's the kind of woman who -- y'know -- if you could only make her laugh -- you'd have a life..."
The Wizard of Oz.  Life lessons?  THIS is your movie....There's no place like home; You always had the power; Follow the Yellow Brick Road; Somewhere -- Over the Rainbow....

E.T. -- the VERY best of Stephen Spielberg.  I've already watched this with Lilly...The story is about children who are kind and smart....
Dirty Dancing.  Every moment is perfect.
  
Brian’s Song.  Biggest tear jerker movie of all time...based on a true story which I loved.
Shawshank Redemption.  Another Stephen King story.  He is a GREAT writer.
Forrest Gump.   A story about simple goodness.  You cannot go wrong if you do the right thing.  And, yes, that kernel of wisdom -- "Life is like a box of chocolates"...
Gone with the Wind.  THE best love story of all time...an iconic movie...

The Green Mile.  Tom Hanks acting, Stephen King writing...yep...a great combination and a HUGE winner...
 The Blind Side.  My favorite Sandra Bullock movie.
Remember the Titans.  Another football movie.  I love the truth of this story -- and Denzel Washington was terrific.

Inventing the Abbotts.  I never heard about this movie when it came out -- but when I watched it, years later -- I remember wishing I could be THAT kind of mother.  Kathy Baker was terrific...and I believed she was raising two sons...

No comments:

Post a Comment