Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Yet Another Collectible

One of my favorite things to find while treasure hunting is soup spoons. Many years ago, when I went to Ireland with my sisters, I bought eight stainless steel soup spoons -- and I love the shape of them.

So I'm always looking for that shape I love -- a deep round bowl...and if the spoons are silver plated, with an interesting design on the handle -- or, the initial "F"(this has happened) -- well -- ALL THE BETTER...
At this point, I have a huge collection of spoons
But, Holy Cow, the tarnish can be terrible...
This is pretty unappetizing.
THEN -- ONCE AGAIN -- I was saved by Pinterest!!
The essential ingredients are: aluminum foil, Baking Soda and Salt...
Line a pan (or your sink) with aluminum foil, pour in 1/2 salt, 1/2 c. Baking Soda, and fill with HOT water...
I layered in my tarnished spoons, then covered them with another sheet of aluminum foil.
I let the spoons sit in the pan for about 20 minutes.
IT WORKS!! The spoon in this picture is the same as the blackened version in the earlier picture.
I also like to find unusual "spooners" -- this one used to be a vase...
Although it still took some time,  the Pinterest idea worked really well -- and I realized that I didn't actually have to leave hundreds of spoons sitting out on my counter. So, I packed away scores of spoons...and now only the top 50 are on display for our use.

I've gotta go make another pot of soup....

No comments:

Post a Comment