Monday, July 21, 2014

Summer Concerts

Bettendorf, Iowa is a beautiful little city that sits on the bank of the Mississippi River. It has excellent public schools and an amazing library. Also, a world class Children's Museum and a fair-to-middling Goodwill store.

My Tuesday morning breakfast is in Bettendorf every week because the other three members live there. They are plugged in to the benefits of their little city...the bike paths, literary events, and -- best of all -- THE FREE SUMMER CONCERTS...

This summer, because I have both Lilly and Warren for an overnight on Thursday nights -- I started taking them to the outdoor concert at Faye's Field -- adjacent to the library
I spread out a blanket for Warren...Linda is playing with him here...

On this night, Lilly fell on the sidewalk and badly skinned her knee...
Sandy was very sympathetic...and I was enjoying the tag-team Grandma action...
Warren is ALWAYS looking for some attention from the men...I told Karl and Gary they should take turns chasing him...
The first week, he actually stayed on the blanket. But the next week, he scooted to many different groups...eating their food, giving strangers little gifts he picked up along the way...Cheetos, dog biscuits...
These weekly concerts are free, they only last an hour, and I am ALWAYS glad when I make the effort to go.

So I can be "spontaneous" -- I have a blanket in my trunk at all times -- along with an old folding hair for me, an umbrella stroller for Warren and a bag of activities for Lilly.

Some people bring snacks or games...Lilly has made two new friends. She is not all that interested in the music...but she LOVES going to the concerts and finding another little girl her age who might enjoy a game of Crazy Eights.

The people running your nearby small town are probably doing the same thing...and YOU SHOULD GO.  Be supportive.  Get lost in the music.  Take a child, or your neighbor or your aunt....pick up your Uncle from assisted living....

YOU WILL NOT BE SORRY...

2 comments:

  1. Puyallup has lots of summer concerts too! Pioneer Park and Bradley Lake Park are both packed with people during them. We have Tuesday lunchtime and Thursday evening concerts at Pioneer, along with Wednesday's twilight farmers' market and mini concerts. Saturday is the big farmers' market. Bradley Lake has some evening concerts and Saturday night outdoor movie night. There's also an overnight campout there every summer. And let's not forget our assorted street fairs :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rita, I just found your blog and have been enjoying reading it and seeing all the pictures of the little ones. It seems to be a busy summer for you. All I have been doing is jarring! Love ya Kathy

    ReplyDelete