Saturday, August 23, 2014

BEST EVER Tomato Sandwiches

It was really exciting for me to see my friend Linda write about this sandwich on Facebook last week!!

Over the years, I have served this sandwich to EVERYBODY I know.  So, now it is a staple here in Iowa.  It is the sandwich I think about in January...lol.  Amanda wrote last week to say she made it for her friends, and it was a shocking hit...She ate it first last summer after reading about it here -- and this year -- she made it even before her former favorite BLT!!.

Years ago, I worked for a wonderful architect with a great sense of humor who loved to cook -- Jay Ohland.  He and his wife Elsa taught me many things about cooking and canning. Every year, when the tomatoes are ripe, I look forward to eating this sandwich...and I think about Jay and Elsa...



Yes -- that's white bread. I prefer the large cottage loaf...really fresh...

Spread mayo on one piece of bread -- and crunchy peanut butter on the other piece. THEN, all you need is some thick slices of delicious, ripe tomatoes...

THAT'S IT. Heaven. I'm telling you. Absolutely delicious. There's something about the salty peanut butter and the tangy mayonnaise...it is the PERFECT combination.

You can only enjoy this sandwich when the tomatoes are fresh and ripe from your garden.

Every year, I eat this sandwich, and I call Jay.  Two years ago, he told me Elsa died.  Jay was living in senior housing...and I knew he was sad, soooo missing his Elsa.  This year, his number had been disconnected... 

No comments:

Post a Comment