Monday, September 22, 2014

Dressing My FALL Bed

I got quite a few emails last week after my BUY SOME GOOD SHEETS blog post. I would love to hear from anybody who decided to go the distance and purchase sheets from Boll and Branch...!!

Today, I'm going to write about how I change my bed for the FALL season.

In the old days, before central air conditioning and reliable furnaces -- the reality of hot and cold temperatures required BIG changes in the family beds. Nowadays, because we are able to maintain a comfortable, constant temperature in our homes...the seasonal changes in our bedding are much more subtle.

For my own bed -- two things NEVER CHANGE. My bed always has a thick, 100% cotton mattress pad.  I wash the mattress pad four times a year -- when I change the bed for the seasons.  And I always use cotton sheets, so that element never changes.

SUMMER BED: Mattress pad, cotton sheets and lightweight cotton bedspread.  Simple and PERFECT in every way...

Remember this treasure from my trip to Mineral Point last spring?
It was a lightweight cotton -- the black zebra stripes were cotton chenille. It gave me a giggle every time I got into bed....
FALL BED: Two things change, but not necessarily at the same time.  Last week, I changed my bedspread, and when it starts to gets colder -- I will add a flannel sheet.  For Fall, I love, love, love adding the weight of a heavy, 100% cotton Matelasse bedspread...
My bedspread looks like this -- altho this isn't my ACTUAL bed (tip off? NO CLUTTER all around it)...
The heavy Matelasse makes getting into bed a complete different experience.  Because it's cotton, it doesn't provide a lot of extra warmth -- but it does provide some extra weight.  Which is perfect for Fall.  When the temperatures get colder, I will add the flannel sheet on top of my top sheet (which is next to my skin, of course).  Then, I finish off with the bedspread. Soooo warm and cozy...

I LOVE MY FALL BED...

I had some questions about laundering blankets...so that will be NEXT week's Monday laundry topic...

No comments:

Post a Comment