Saturday, October 18, 2014

Cedar Rapids, Coe College and Grant Wood

If you have never been to Cedar Rapids, Iowa -- I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT. It is a jewel of a small city -- with SO MUCH to see and do. Anne set up a PERFECT Grant Wood day for us. And one of the off-the-beaten-path places she discovered was Coe College.
Located right in the heart of their sweet little campus -- Grant Wood's house!!
This sculpture was right outside the library
Inside -- we found one room after another -- it was like an art gallery...
The paintings weren't all done by Grant Wood
There were so many reading rooms...and so many original works of art...I swear, in my next life, I would like to LIVE in a library...
In the largest room, there was a collection of early lithographs...
Created for the Iowa State Fair, of course!!
Like small colleges everywhere -- the grounds are well maintained and STUNNING...
Although, it was a little disconcerting that there were NO STUDENTS in this particular library
I mean -- really -- it was almost eerie...
We sat in their comfy leather chairs, wishing we'd packed a lunch.
There was a small exhibit about Grant Wood -- and I love the shadow of me and Anne in the background.  Who said I can't take a good picture??

No comments:

Post a Comment