Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Waterloo, Part #2: The Apron Chronicles

Maybe yesterday's post wasn't the best way to introduce you to Waterloo Iowa.  But I wanted to tell the story of the Sullivan Brothers...and I think it is wonderful that their hometown honored them by building and maintaining a beautiful museum.

As I said, the Grout Museum is part of the Sullivan Museum/complex.  And Linda and I were headed there for the real purpose of our trip to Waterloo, Iowa.  The Apron Chronicles exhibit!!  We were going to actually meet EllynAnne Geisel...and we were so excited!  She came all the way from Colorado to do the events in Waterloo.  Linda and I were so happy to be driving on a stunning beautiful Fall day....and soo delighted to be spending a few days away from our usual activities and lives...

I own hundreds of aprons -- and I have been a fan of EllynAnne for a long time.

Mary once gave me The Apron Book as a birthday gift!!

This is a picture of the Apron Chronicles book cover...
EllynAnne with one of my favorite aprons.  The clothespin apron!!
On Friday night, this large room was set up for our dinner...(yes, that's an airplane hanging from the ceiling)
Several of the ladies in attendance were wearing aprons.  This one was unusual (when you lifted the appliqued woman's skirt, you could see her underwear)
After the dinner, EllynAnne did a program in the Museum Theater...
I was smitten by her colorful stockings...
Linda shared an apron I gave her YEARS AGO...
Saturday morning, there was another program -- we got to visit with EllynAnne before the show started...
EllynAnne included iron-on transfer designs in an envelope at the back of the book.  GENIUS...!!

I am also a big fan of The Kitchen Linens Book by EllynAnne.  It was so much fun to listen to her stories -- and to actually SEE some of the treasures she found at antique malls and estate sales.  The story with this book cover is that she first found the embroidery transfers -- then, in another place, at another time, she found the finished embroidered dish towels.

Our weekend in Waterloo was like meeting another soul sister...because she has almost as much Ritaluck as I do. (I suppose she calls it EllynAnne luck)...

No comments:

Post a Comment