Saturday, November 22, 2014

Last Garden Pick of the Summer

Every year, the VERY LAST crop John picks from the garden is...drumroll, please.... RADISHES. Although he has radishes earlier in the summer -- they can be strong. For whatever reason, the radishes he plants in September are amazingly mild....
He also picked the last of the parsley -- right before the first freeze...
The radishes ARE AMAZING....huge, and crisp and flavorful...
I am about to build one of my FAVORITE SANDWICHES....and here are the three ingredients...
Thinly slice the radishes....
Soft white bread, mayonnaise, layers of thinly sliced radishes...some salt....
I am talking a little bit of serious heaven here, people...this sandwich is SO DELICIOUS...the radishes are crispy and so mild.  It's the kind of sandwich you think about in the middle of the night...
And, I have to say -- I MISS WONDER BREAD!!
I understand that products come and go. But how did we lose Wonder Bread?? When that bakery went out of business -- we also lost Twinkies, remember? I believe the Twinkies are back -- but apparently, nobody is going to resurrect Wonder Bread.

It got such a bad rap -- refined white flour, empty calories, no nutritional value, we should all be eating whole wheat, blah, blah, blah...trying to do the right thing -- in the interest of better eating habits -- the sales plummeted and, eventually, the bakery closed...

I'm just saying -- I MISS WONDER BREAD.  No other bread even comes close to the soft, deliciousness that was the Wonder Bread of my childhood.  

1 comment:

  1. YUM, YUM!!!! This must be an Iowa thing. Both my folks were from Iowa and I grew up on radish sandwiches. Here in Oregon friends think I crazy for eating this. They just don't know what they are missing!

    ReplyDelete