Saturday, November 8, 2014

Typical DAY of Thrifting

A week does not go by when I don't find SOMETHING WONDERFUL at a thrift store. I jokingly call my addiction "treasure-hunting". And those of you who are not afflicted simply cannot understand it...Which is why I get emails and questions all the time asking what I consider "treasure"...?? So -- here you go. Most of this stuff was acquired during the course of a typical week...
By the time I take the bags out of my trunk -- I barely remember what was in them...
Oh, yeah -- the Donvier Ice Cream Maker for $3.45. $60 on Amazon, people (never mind I already have one...which I haven't used in five years...)
I am ALWAYS a sucker for clothespins...(and, yes, I would have to live to be 200 years old before I used all the clothespins I already own)
Any time you can read a Bill Bryson book -- JUST DO IT...
And you can never have enough winter hats for a two year old...
Mary Mulari and I are working up a new seminar -- and we might need some new samples...
I think I could make this fringe out of recycled t-shirts...??
Who could pass on this much sparkle for 90 cents??
A $2.00 Halloween T-shirt with sequined black cats is some serious Ritaluck...
A second winter coat for Warren. (One for my house, one for his)...
The usual assortment of clothes for Warren and Lilly...pajamas, pants, shirts, jackets, etc.
Lillian now has two animal print sweaters. One beige and one black...
That is a pretty good representation of a normal week for me. And, on SO MANY LEVELS I know it's crazy.  It looks like a lot of junk to most people...and they can't understand why I want a huge bin of sparkly, glitter shoes and boots Lillian can wear for the next three years....

But I enjoy the hunt, and the rush I get when I find something SO PERFECT...like this...
This was special. I bought it at the Antique Show in Cedar Rapids last month. It is a beautiful embroidery, and the words say, "My Mother taught me how to sew; And at the time I did not know; That with every stitch I now complete; with every row I do so neat; My mother's heart is there with me; Guiding my hand for all to see. Sarah 1893
Of course, I immediately hung it in a place of honor on my Sampler Wall.

No comments:

Post a Comment