Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Applesauce Cake

So -- what can I do with all that applesauce??
At the end, I had about 5 cups of delicious applesauce...

I decided to make an applesauce cake. I went online and read many recipes. One recipe called for shortening -- I used butter and oil. Most recipes used white sugar, I decided to use both white and brown. I wanted to use lots of applesauce, so I nearly doubled everything.

Finally, I added more spices than most recipes called for. My cakes turned out so great, I tried to write down exactly what I did.

Rita's Late-Night Applesauce Cake

1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 stick of butter
1/2 c. vegetable oil
4 eggs
4 cups flour
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. nutmeg
1 tsp. ginger
2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
3 cups applesauce
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup of nuts (optional)
1 cup of raisins (optional)*

Cream together the sugars, butter and oil. Add the eggs, then alternate the dry ingredients and the applesauce. This makes a lot of cake. I poured the batter into three pans. Two 9" round cake pans, and one small square pan.

*soak the raisins in boiling water for about 10 minutes to plump them up.

************

At the end of the day, I made homemade applesauce -- THEN, I made scratch cakes from the homemade applesauce. WHO DOES THAT???

It was 10:30 when I started baking the cakes. I was listening to a wonderful new book on tape in my kitchen, and these cakes smelled so great, baking in the oven...


My plan is to eat one, freeze one, and give one away...
Oh, yeah. Life is Good...

No comments:

Post a Comment