Monday, December 29, 2014

Foley Food Mill

Like everything else in life -- apples are an individual thing. We are three adults living in a house, and we have three completely different apple attitudes.

I like tart, crisp apples like Stayman Winesap or Honeycrisp, and I like them cold, out of the refrigerator drawer. Ross will only eat Fuji apples -- and he insists they stay at room temperature -- his apples NEVER go into the frig.

John almost never eats an apple, but he is the best grocery shopper in the world, so his big job is keeping both me and Ross well supplied...

The other day, I realized John's shopping had gotten way ahead of our apple-eating.  Suddenly, we had a dozen apples that were past their eating prime...

And I remembered  how easy it was to make applesauce with my Foley Food Mill....I wondered if I could find the darn thing...??
Stuck in the back of a high cupboard -- there it was!!  I took it apart, scrubbed  it up,
I washed the apples, and cut them into quarters....I put them in the pot, seeds and peels and all...added 1/4 cup of water, and covered the pot.
I stirred them often to prevent sticking.  The apples quickly cooked down.
Then, into the top of the Foley Food Mill....turn the handle....
APPLESAUCE!  Just as easy as I remembered it!!
As you turn the handle, the applesauce goes down through the sieve...leaving only  the peel and seeds.
MAGIC!!  What a great invention. Thank you, Mr. Foley....
But. Wow. That's a lot of applesauce. Maybe six cups. Yikes.  Then I remembered another funny thing about the Farro family. Nobody here eats applesauce... Ugh...

2 comments:

  1. Waste not, want not.
    I was raised this way too.
    Even though I like my applesauce chunky.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just use the applesauce in your baking instead of half or all the oil....think banana bread, zucchini bread, muffins etc......I freeze it and take out as needed......I have a bunch of apples I need to do this with....our house is the same.....I love HoneyCrisp...my hubby seldom eats any and likes them soft & mushy...ugh....lately I've been using my Foley Food Mill to make Tomato Juice from frozen tomatoes....MY HUBBY WILL DRINK THAT......;)

    ReplyDelete