Thursday, December 4, 2014

Pot Pie Variations

In it's halcyon days, The Outing Club was a snobby club for the wealthy people of Davenport, Iowa.  They had their annual Debutante Ball -- and whatever else rich people do to set themselves up to feel superior to the working class....But, of course, most of these places have fallen on hard times.

Their mission isn't as clear as it once was -- and maybe that's a good thing.  I don't know.  But I am sad that the beautiful old mansion is on a downhill slide....and I don't see a bright future for places like this.

The good news is that, in an effort to be relevant -- The Outing Club has opened itself up to more public events -- and the food there is always a treat.  On our recent TMBC Apron outing -- they were serving chicken pot pies, with a puff pastry top...

I ate the delicious puff pastry top before I remembered that I had my camera...
Sandy did the right thing -- and ate her salad FIRST.  Isn't the little pot pie beautiful?
However, the puff pastry stuck to the edge like cement...
We ate every bite -- except for those edges! DElicious...
That puff pastry pot pie at the Outing Club reminded me of my road trip last year with Marion...from NYC to Florida...down the East Coast...
Marion, the day we arrived in Savannah, Georgia
Of course, I was eager to go to Paula Deen's restaurant...
When I ordered the chicken pot pie -- THIS is what came to the table...
I never thought about doing this...
The inside of the chicken pot pie and the pastry crust were cooked separately, then assembled. WHAT A GREAT IDEA...

Linda B. emailed me and said that's how she does it. She prepares the stew filling on top the stove -- then bakes a pie crust (or several) in the oven, on a large cookie sheet. To serve, she spoons the hot filling into a bowl -- and breaks off pieces of perfectly baked, browned pie crust to place on top!! Genius.

You could also do that with a box of freezer puff pastry. Cut it in circles (or lattice it like Paula did) -- then bake in the hot oven until brown and risen. At the last minute, right before serving, place the puff pastry on top of the hot stew...

1 comment:

  1. Again our minds are running along together....I just made a puff pastry crust for my version of Turkey Pot Pie from Thanksgiving Leftovers.....It was Delish......Love that we are so often on the same Wave Length even though so many states apart!......Linda In Othello

    ReplyDelete