Saturday, December 20, 2014

Smart Phone Withdrawals...

The night of the Kenny Rogers concert we got lost in downtown Bloomington. It's a big, rambling college town -- and when we came out of the concert, we were driving in circles. For some time...there's a bridge...and many one-way streets...

Deena has never had a smartphone, Nicole forgot to charge her Iphone -- and, of course, I just got rid of my smartphone.
We drove past the University of Illinois stadium three times

Yikes. THREE WOMEN, LOST IN A STRANGE CITY, WITH NO SMARTPHONE GPS!!

We were flummoxed.

We were driving the wrong side of the street (we thought it was a one-way, nobody else did) when Nicole pulled over and parked the van. She called her husband, Bill, hoping he could tell us how to get out of town. But he was more confused than we were...Then her Iphone went dead..

Of course, neither Deena nor I could call Bill back because we didn't have his number programmed into our phones...

I called Ross on our home phone. I figured he could use the GPS on his smartphone to tell us how to get back on I-74....
Bloomington is bigger than you think....

Clever plan, eh?

Ross answered...and I explained our dilemma.

He said, (very calmly) "You are lost in downtown Bloomington, you've been driving in circles for half an hour and your big idea was to call me?"

I said, "Yes...."

Long pause.  "Mom -- by the time I figure out where you are -- you could be half-way home...(yelling now) -- GO TO A GAS STATION AND ASK FOR DIRECTIONS!!"

Nicole and Deena, both sitting in the front, heard him...and the three of us started to laugh. And laugh. Hysterically. It was soooo funny.

Of course, Ross was right. We went into the gas station (we were parked in front of it) and were immediately given directions which led to a direct route back to I-74....

Instead of me MISSING MY SMARTPHONE...this incident proved my point...

SMARTPHONES MAKE YOU STUPID....


No comments:

Post a Comment