Saturday, January 3, 2015

Gifts vs. Adventures

When it comes to actual "shopping" -- I'm no good at it. I think kids today have WAY TOO MANY TOYS AND ALTOGETHER TOO MUCH STUFF. Many toys are downright stupid. And, in my opinion, some of the stuff is a big waste of money. Or worse -- a mind-numbing, brain-sucking, stop-thinking, accomplish-nothing big waste of a child's valuable time.

I have a very bad attitude about computer/video/smartphone/i-pad games. I believe too much time in front of a SCREEN, playing pointless, often violent games can isolate a child and change the way they interact with the people in their world.

To complicate things even further -- I have a /hate relationship with Barbie...so you can see I have a lot of shopping limitations.

All that makes gift-giving kind of a challenge...

Many years ago -- I decided to avoid giving gifts. Instead, I focus on ADVENTURES. EXPERIENCES. ACTIVITIES.

My Aunt Rita adventures are legendary (at least in my own mind).  I took several nephews to juggling class...there were airplane rides...always a lot of live theater.  There were paintball events, or an English HIGH TEA Christmas party. 

I believe in spending TIME... To listen, to talk, to play. TIME is the secret...TIME is the gift...
This is one of my GO-TO activities. Lilly loves to look for shells along the river. This is 5 minutes from my house...
Even a simple summer lunch becomes an activity -- watching the hummingbirds on the porch.
Lilly and Memphis, spending time together -- conducting an experiment
Lilly took this picture -- Cash went with us to see Frozen...
A couple of hours at the local Discovery Center
Lilly, attending her first auction...
SO MANY wonderful plays this year! With Mary to see Charlie and the Chocolate Factory...
All kids love picnics. On this day -- Ross went along (which explains the great pictures). The thing about spending time with a child is that it doesn't require a lot of money, advance planning, or fancy wrapping....
to make a memory that will last a lifetime...
And here's the thing young parents do not understand. IF you think you are spending time with your child, but you are constantly looking at your smartphone -- it doesn't count. As a matter of fact, you may be doing more harm than good.

TURN THE DAMN THING OFF...!!.

No comments:

Post a Comment