Friday, May 1, 2015

Why I love Princeton, Iowa

There are so many beautiful places in the world. I hope you love where you live. I know I do.

But the truth is,  I don't give it much thought. It's not like there was one day when I said to myself, "ah, yes, Princeton, Iowa is the place for me."

I was born here, and after a bit of traveling around -- John and I came here because of a job.

It feels like we just ended up here, y'know?

On a recent Sunday night,  I was taking Lillian home when I saw a "BINGO" sign at the Community Center.  Hey -- I haven't played Bingo for 20 years...and it would be a new experience for Lilly...

As we were walking up the steps, Lilly said, "I'm afraid to go inside, Grandma." I told her I was nervous, too, but it was good to try new things. And if we didn't like it, we could always leave.

There were about 30 people inside. Free refreshments on the back counter (desserts mostly, a large pot of coffee and some lemonade and a bowl of chips).
That's our mayor (Keith) calling the numbers...(note Lilly's plate of cupcakes)
Lilly LOVED the dauber...and what a great way to learn your numbers, eh?
I paid $10 for 9 games (six per page) and the ink dauber.
We got close to BINGO a couple of times...
Between games, they asked Lilly to draw the name for a "door prize winner". Keith held the microphone in front of her face, and asked her name. She said, "Lillian Claire Farro". And everybody cheered when she pulled the winner's name out of the hat...
At 8:00,  it was time for us to go. We got to the door when the Mayor announced, "hey, wait a minute!  We're about to do another door prize drawing!"

I didn't tell Lilly that I hadn't put our names in the hat.  With my hand on the door knob, I heard Keith announce,   "the winner is Lillian Claire Farro"...

Yep.  I love this little town.


No comments:

Post a Comment