Friday, October 9, 2015

Dinner Plate Necklines

For me, sewing is a useful life skill. It is CREATIVE and it's also PRACTICAL. It is a skill I use almost every day. I cannot imagine NOT knowing how to sew. The only other skill I consider as useful would be cooking. (I'm pretty good at that, too.)

A couple of weeks ago, I was in a restaurant booth, sitting across from my cousin Linda. Her top was driving me crazy. The neckline was so big, every time she moved, it fell off her shoulders. I'm guessing she tugged that thing up at least 20 times during our breakfast...


THIS IS SUCH A COMMON PROBLEM with plus size clothes. They size everything UP -- never considering our heads don't gain weight. The neckline ends up being way too big...huge...falling off our shoulders, exposing our cleavage...
Linda loved the top...especially the hombre color scheme...going from light turquoise to cobalt blue
(Linda always wants me to take pictures that do NOT show her face...hey, I'm no photographer...but I did try!!)  She liked the actual fit of the top...including the length of the sleeves.  So, all I needed to do was remake the neckline.  Hummm...I could find some matching/coordinating fabric from t-shirt mountain...

But, after considering my options, I decided to cut off the bottom of the sleeves...
I also took the sleeves in by at least an inch...and added the new blue bands, to coordinate with the bottom of the shirt.
I sewed the two bands together, then I pinned it to the dinner plate neckline, and topstitched around the existing neckline.  This method took advantage of the nice top stitching finish of the sleeves.

No comments:

Post a Comment