Thursday, December 31, 2015

The REST of the story

A few weeks ago, I wrote about the Zion Lutheran Church Fall fundraiser -- which is a dinner and an auction at the Princeton Community Center.
I was there, along with many of my family, some of them still claiming to be Lutherans....
At last -- NOW -- I can tell you the REST of the story.

My mother's mother was Edna Dodds. By all accounts, Grandma Dodds was a wonderful seamstress. But, sadly, like most other families, her people did not do a good job of passing on her work. I think most of it was sold at the public auction after she died in 1972.

Edna had two daughters and one son. Our mother, Joyce, didn't have anything made by her mother. However, my Aunt Rozella had two beautiful quilts that were made by Grandma Dodds. After Aunt Rozella died, those quilts were sold at her public auction. I bid on both quilts, but didn't get either one. I bid $400 on an orange hand-appliqued tulip quilt....but was outbid.

HOWEVER -- THIS BEAUTIFUL QUILT RECENTLY RESURFACED!!

Fast forward 17 years....Joyce Lund, (the woman who outbid me at Aunt Rozella's auction), decided to donate the quilt to the Zion Lutheran Church for their annual auction/fund-raising event. Yippee Kayee...!!

Wouldn't it be wonderful if I could buy the quilt and one day give it to Lillian? Imagine sleeping under a quilt that was hand crafted by your Great-Great-Grandmother. Truly. What a gift... I was thrilled to have another chance to bring Grandma Dodds' quilt back into the family...
I went to the auction, excited about the possibility of buying back my Grandma Dodds' hand-made quilt...then this happened...
As soon as I walked into the Community Center, I discovered my nephew, Toby, was also there -- hoping to buy the quilt. Ugh. Do I really want to get into a bidding war with my own nephew??

Toby wasn't looking forward to bidding against me, either. Oh oh. This could be bad. Very, very bad...

I went over to Toby, and as his two little boys (Clayton and Oliver) were screaming, ''AUNT RITA, AUNT RITA" -- Toby told me he was there to buy Grandma's quilt so they (Deena's three children) could give it to their mother for her birthday.

My sister Deena's birthday is on Christmas Day, which, of course, ALWAYS SUCKS...and this would be a very, very special gift for her to receive...

Crap.

I gave Toby a big hug, and told him he didn't have to worry about bidding against his Aunt Rita...

Of course, I couldn't write about this special gift until AFTER SHE RECEIVED IT...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DEENA!!


Joyce Lund, Toby, his wife Brenda, and son -- Clayton (Oliver was helping me take the picture)
More about this special gift on Monday...

No comments:

Post a Comment