Thursday, February 25, 2016

Circle of Friends

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the story of this quilt...
When Mary found it, folded on a high shelf in a second hand store...it had been there for over a year.
I wonder how many people might have looked at this quilt during that year, and considered buying it? Maybe the cheap red yarn tie-job is the reason everybody else took a pass. But I looked right past that...knowing they could easily be replaced.

The original maker had also chosen to use the red yarn to do a bold running stitch around the edge...ugh...
One day, when Carrie was here cleaning (I love MONDAYS) ...I sat down at my sewing machine and did this. Every place there was a red tie, I added a little white embroidered heart...

After each heart, I cut out the tie....
And I also stitched around the edge, before pulling the red yarn out completely...
I removed A LOT OF RED YARN...
The more I looked at this quilt, the more amazed I was by the incredible piecing job.  Sooo many prints...and it reminded me of another vintage quilt. Almost 20 years ago.  Is that possible??
In 1996, my friend Marion came to Iowa for the first time, and during a treasure hunt at a local antique mall, she bought a vintage quilt with these soft old-fashioned chicken feed sack prints...there was so much yellow in that quilt...and she and I are both suckers for anything yellow...

I found this quilt on January 23.  Marion's birthday is January 31. She's in Florida for the winter. HEY -- IT'S MUCH EASIER TO SEND THINGS TO FLORIDA than to Canada!!
Happy Birthday, Marion!! (your dress matches the quilt!)
Mary found it. I bought it, and took the red yarn out. Then I shipped it to Marion (the quilt cost $37, and the shipping was $23...lol). Marion washed it...

No comments:

Post a Comment