Tuesday, August 9, 2016

My Ah-Ha Summer Moment

I can't believe it's August and the kids will be going back to school soon. Every family in America is scrambling to squeeze in some last minute summer fun.

One of the highlights of my summer was Ross's surprise party.  My sisters Ronda and Deena put it together...and it was a wonderful, fun event -- with many people I love, lots of delicious food,  good fun and absolutely no drama...

After our delicious meal -- our kids got together in the front yard to play some Bocce ball...
The thing is -- this has never happened. Bocce ball was a surprise...but clearly, they were enjoying themselves. 
Ronda and her husband Dean played a major role in planning the party. Dean is a master fisherman, and he provided ten pounds of filets, then fried them in his big outdoor cooker. IT WAS DELICIOUS...
Here's my magic moment. The party went off without a hitch...Ross was surprised -- SHOCKED, EVEN. The food was delicious. Honestly, my people are EXCELLENT COOKS.

After we ate, I was sitting in the back yard, relaxing with my sisters and their husbands. We were watching our adult children play Bocce ball in the front yard. Our children are all grown now, with jobs and homes of their own. They're doing fine...and we did good...and yes, IT TAKES A VILLAGE...

As I was thinking those thoughts -- I looked around and saw our children's children playing in the back yard. Amy's boys were pitching for Toby's kids...and Lilly was pushing Kelcy's girls on the Merry Go Round....
The kids had a wiffle ball game going...and they took turns on the trampoline.
They were all getting along, playing together and making up games...
Deena has nine grandchildren, I have two, and Ronda has seven. We are so incredibly lucky...and we know it.
Dawson is a year old. And a complete delight....and very possibly our LAST grand-baby...
At that moment -- it hit me like a brick.  My eyes welled up...I was going to be full blown crying in a second...Watching our kids playing Bocce ball in the front yard, and their kids running and playing games in the back yard...That moment felt so right.

LIFE JUST DOESN'T GET ANY BETTER THAN THIS.


2 comments: