Monday, August 22, 2016

The Featherweight Hunt Hits a Snag...

Okay -- here's where the Featherweight Hunt takes some twists and turns (I'm thinking of turning this into a screenplay).

The week after Deborah bought Izzy -- my cousin Linda bought one from ebay (#7), and so did TMBC Sandy (#8).

But Linda's machine arrived with no bobbin case -- so it had to be returned.

Sandy's machine had aluminum rot -- and that has turned into a full time job!!

That Friday, our local estate guy had a Featherweight 221 AND A TABLE advertised.

THERE'S A TABLE???

Cousin Linda thought this could be the answer...cuz now she's afraid of ebay....

I set my alarm for 6:00 AM in order to get into town so we could get a good number. We were #14 and 15. We'll be in the FIRST GROUP...Hooray...

However -- the woman who was #3 BEAT US TO IT. She paid $300 for the machine and the table.

Linda was discouraged.

The very next morning, I got up at 6:00 AGAIN so I could meet my sister Deena -- who found a Featherweight at an auction in Anamosa, Iowa. (1 1/2 hour drive)

You might be asking yourself -- why is Deena buying a SECOND FEATHERWEIGHT??  She just bought that sweet little machine in LeClaire, remember?  Although I think she named her Roxanne, I don't think she's had a chance to sew on it yet...
I dunno...but I'm happy to go along for the ride.
And it was a BEAUTIFUL DRIVE, too. The countryside up there looks exactly like Grant Wood painted it...
Anamosa is the home of the Iowa State Penitentiary.
Built in 1875, it is the largest prison in the State of Iowa and still houses almost 1000 prisoners.
But -- hey -- BACK TO THE AUCTION!!
This is the only picture I got of the Anamosa Featherweight. It was perfect.  From the 60's, with everything intact. In beautiful condition..
I had the number $300 in my head.  Deena thought this one was in PRISTINE CONDITION...
Deena was bidding against one guy..and she took it up to $425. But, alas...no cigar AND no Featherweight...

Bummer.  Two Featherweights from ebay were problematic...then, the estate sale AND the auction were swings we took -- but missed...

You might think it's all bad news this week, eh??

But you would be wrong...

2 comments:

  1. I'm still hoping to connect on the FW maintenance class if they get to northern CA-- after being at Puyallup SEW EXPO I finally acted on the desire to own a FW (and she's a beauty!), with a recommendation to check out 'Poppy' (John Bryant) http://featherweight-poppy.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm still hoping......& I too am afraid to buy one off ebay....where I live they don't have all these auctions....just big farm auctions....when you run out of sisters, Rita....keep on the look out for an affordable Featherweight for one of your "Sewing Sisters".......;)

    ReplyDelete