Thursday, October 6, 2016

Deborah's Second Featherweight

Recently, my sister Deb came to Iowa to visit her grandkids (she lives in Nashville). Her secondary motive was to PICK UP HER SECOND FEATHERWEIGHT sewing machine.

Although I know you may be getting tired of this topic -- apparently, THERE IS NO END TO MY FEATHERWEIGHT LOVE. And the stories just keep coming. (Please note -- I do try to limit my Featherweight blogs to once a week.)

To review -- Deborah bought her FIRST Featherweight the week after our Sisters Sewing Retreat in July. She drove all the way to St. Louis to buy a WHITE Featherweight.(see this link)...

The same week she bought her White Featherweight, she saw a 1953 Featherweight WITH A TABLE listed in Davenport, Iowa, on Craigslist.  That happens to be her birthday year -- and before that moment in time, none of us realized there was any such thing as a Featherweight table??!!

I went with her to look at the machine/table. But the price was $675. And when we went to see it, the machine was kind of rough...the belt was broken, there was no case...so, Deb took a pass.

Then, three weeks later -- I saw the very same sewing machine and table listed on eBay -- still for $675.  The guy had tried to glue the belt together...  hummm...

The listing ran out, and the guy never got a bid. Deb still had his cellphone number, so she called and offered him $325.

AND HE ACCEPTED HER OFFER. Oh my!! Because he is near me, I picked the machine and table up -- and could hardly wait to do a complete spa treatment...oil, lube, new belt. CARMON AND CHRISTIAN HENRY would be very proud of me!! And she is a beauty. SHE SEWS a perfect seam...
But maybe the BEST PART of Deb's deal is the folding Singer Featherweight table.  WHICH WAS IN NEARLY PERFECT CONDITION.
Deb invited us all over for dinner.  She made shrimp and grits AND key-lime pie!!
I'm telling you -- that Featherweight fits SO PERFECTLY into the table top.
The Sewing Sisters.  Deb, me, Deena and Ronda. 
Deena is doing some ironing....WHAT'S THAT??!!

1 comment:

  1. I share Deb's birth year and have a 1953 FW as well. Plus, my daughter's name is Deena! Just got my 3rd FW this week. Enjoyed reading your featherweight story!

    ReplyDelete