Saturday, October 15, 2016

One Summer: America, 1927


Today, I'm taking a break from the national nightmare that is washing-machine/gate.

You know how obnoxious I get when I fall in love with a thing...(Featherweights, Popovers, washing machines, Grandchildren, libraries, books). Well -- I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the book, "One Summer: America 1927" by Bill Bryson.

As a matter of fact, I am officially declaring it my FAVORITE BOOK OF 2016.

In the interest of full disclosure -- I love Bill Bryson.  But this book was outstanding.  Mostly because of how he organized and researched all the things that were going on in America at a single moment in time...the summer of 1927.  Charles Lindbergh, immigrants, economics, movies, Al Capone, sports, Babe Ruth, politics, Herbert Hoover, book publishing, radio, television, eugenics, prohibition, travel, airplanes, trains, automobiles, Henry Ford, epidemics, science.

He covers the wide range and scope of things that happened in the summer of 1927 that, one way or another, changed the world we live in TODAY...
Although I have read Bill Bryson books -- listening to HIM read them takes it to another level of pleasure. He is hilarious...and I enjoy and admire the way he finds the irony and/or humor in almost every situation.

This book is a stunning achievement. Written with the usual brilliant Bryson humor, he makes history come alive. And with the benefit of 90 years worth of hindsight, you begin to understand where things went wrong...or right...(depending on whether or not your great-grandpa was a bootlegger).

No comments:

Post a Comment