Friday, February 17, 2017

The Secret to an ALWAYS Moist Cake

My computer is giving me fits lately -- so I am blaming it for the blogging lapse. Although, who are we kidding -- I think I bought this laptop in 2009...so it is BEYOND old...

Remember when appliances would last for decades? Growing up, we had ONE toaster...for at least 20 years. Nowadays, we spend all that money on computers and we just accept that they are obsolete after two or three years. If measured in dog years, my Dell laptop is about 160 years old...

Anyway -- I DID PROMISE to share my secret to an ALWAYS incredibly moist cake...and this is strange, but it has NEVER FAILED ME...
At Linda's birthday lunch -- the restaurant charged me 50 cents per person to "plating" fee. I was fine with that. But, when the waitress brought the cake to the table, she asked if the cook could have a piece? I was flattered and said of course...then, before we left, another waitress stopped by our table to tell us how delicious the cake was...lol...
At that point, I wondered if I might charge them a 50 cent per person "eating" fee??
I always start by making a basic chocolate cake mix.  The brand does NOT matter...
I bake the cake in a rectangle cake pan. While it's cooking, I put

1 stick of butter (1/2 cup);
1 cup of sugar, and
1/2 cup of evaporated milk (or regular milk)

 into a saucepan and bring to a boil.  Add 1 tsp. of vanilla at the end.

When the cake is done -- I take it out of the oven, and poke it all over (I use my turkey forks to make a lot of holes at one time)...then I pour the hot boiled mix over the cake.  It will look wrong.  Completely wet.  Like the cake will NEVER soak up all the liquid...

But -- not to worry.  It will.  And when it cools, you frost it as per usual...peanut butter frosting is my favorite...but you can use whatever frosting you like.

Honestly -- I never thought I invented this trick -- but I can't find it anywhere.  Does anybody know where this idea comes from??

Your cake will be FANTASTIC...and it will stay moist for days.  (I'm just guessing about that -- because cake doesn't last at my house beyond the second day...)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment