Monday, April 10, 2017

Sat. March 18, Part 3

Our first full day was such so spectacular, I didn't think there was any way we could top it...

But so far -- our second full day in NYC is off to a rocking good start.

We had a delicious breakfast, took a tour of Radio City Music Hall, and went to the Top of the Rock.

After a walkabout of St. Patrick's Cathedral...my plan was to take the MTA buses around Central Park. But, as I said, the buses were jam packed...and few and far between...
Hummm...see all those cabs outside St. Patrick's Cathedral?  I decided we should HIRE A CAB to drive us around the park!!

Lilly LOVES riding in cabs.  Public transportation is such an out-of-Iowa-Experience...
Our cab driver was wonderful. (Amir). He spoke fairly good English -- and when I told him what I wanted to do, he was all smiles. He would pull up to the curb of the important buildings so we could take pictures. Of course, the Guggenheim Museum is featured in the movie, Mr. Popper's Penguins. (one of my pre-NYC-trip movie suggestions.)
We took pictures in front of the Metropolitan Museum of Art...
It was about 3:00. We're right in Central Park and I wanted Lilly to see the horse and carriages along 59th Street...I was going to ask Amir to take us to Columbus Circle...and we could go down the big escalator to Whole Foods...they'll have something to eat...
Then it hit me. HERE WE ARE --  RIGHT AT TAVERN ON THE GREEN.  (which was closed in 2009, but reopened as a restaurant in 2015). 
I forgot to take a picture -- but we got out of our cab right at this iconic canopy...
As we walked in, I took this picture of the glass walls. From the outside, looking in...
Lilly said, "look, Grandma. That's the table from the movie." (Mr. Popper's Penguins is about saving Tavern on the Green).
When we got inside, the front room was PACKED with people...
The maƮtre d's asked, "do you have a reservation?" I said, no, sorry...we came in on a whim -- hoping for a late lunch?
The young man smiled at Lilly and said, "And I suppose the little lady would like to sit at the table from Mr. Popper's Penguins?"
AND THEN THIS HAPPENED!!
***********************

MMWI: 248.6

Yikes.  It has been a LONG TIME since my body has seen the 240's...THANKS for the encouraging emails and calls.

2 comments:

  1. Waiting for tomorrow's installment! I was lucky to eat at the original Tavern on the Green right before it closed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can go back next year, Laura, when you're in NYC. It's better than ever!!

    ReplyDelete