Monday, May 29, 2017

2017 Memorial Day

I wrote this post in 2011....

**************

Memorial Day is an odd "holiday' for me. Because I work at home, I never really 'get Monday off". And then, too, I grew up knowing this is 'the official day" after which it is okay to wear white. Which, frankly, has NEVER been a concern for me. (cellulite being more of a problem than the day on the calendar...)

I think it's about visiting graves of people you've lost...which is very sad....but, then, isn't it also about BBQ and picnics? Which is very happy...See what I mean. It's confusing.

So I looked it up on Wikipedia.

Memorial Day is a United States federal holiday observed on the last Monday of May (May 30 in 2011). Formerly known as Decoration Day, it commemorates men and women who died while in military service to the United States.[1] First enacted to honor Union and Confederate soldiers following the American Civil War,[2] it was extended after World War I to honor Americans who have died in all wars.

Memorial Day often marks the start of the summer vacation season, and Labor Day its end.

It began as a ritual of remembrance and reconciliation after the civil war, but by the early 20th century, Memorial Day was an occasion for more general expressions of memory, as ordinary people visited the graves of their deceased relatives, whether they had served in the military or not. It also became a long weekend increasingly devoted to shopping, family gatherings, fireworks, trips to the beach...
Okay...so apparently Memorial Day can be whatever you want it to be. I will visit some graves this weekend, to remember people I loved and miss every day...

Then, I'm going to make it about celebrating my own personal veteran...being grateful we're both alive and well. John will grill something. His new thing is "smoking" meat...



And, I appreciate how much he loves to figure things out....he spent years of experimental bread baking....trying to bake the "perfect" loaf of Italian bread...

John's bird feeder porch extravaganza attracts hundreds of hummingbirds...he cleans and changes four gigantic feeders. His hummies provide hours of endless fascination....

for our own boys, many nieces and nephews -- and now the children of those children...


And, in his retirement, he golfs every chance he gets. At some point, on this Memorial Day, I hope he will end up relaxing in his Lazy Boy...because he has earned it!!

And, as a special favor to veterans everywhere, I have decided NOT to wear white today...

Happy Memorial Day!! If you have your own favorite veteran within shouting distance -- invite them over for a cookout.
*****************
2017 update:  MMWI:  242.2

No comments:

Post a Comment