Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Iowa Fence Laws and Hamilton

In 1981, we built our house in a housing "addition" just outside Princeton, Iowa. There are 19 houses here...and our next door neighbor is a 400 acre family farm. We are the only house that shares a fence with a farm.

FYI: In the State of Iowa, a farmer can replace fence at any time, and no matter how elaborate the new fence is, you, as his neighbor, will be billed (by the fencing company) for HALF THE COST.

So, when we received this whopping bill ($2500) -- John decided that he would pay for it by NOT GOING out for breakfast for a whole year.

Believe me, his local breakfast joint is MISSING HIM (three of the guys called this week, worried that he died).

Although I'm sure there is some flaw in his logic...in some strange way, it made sense. Then, this happened...

Fast forward: I have the chance to see Hamilton in Chicago. (My friend Linda and her daughter Kim are going in June, and I invited myself along...)

The ticket would be $200. (the LAST single seat left in the theater -- with an "obstructed" view). It was a lot of money...I really can't afford it...I'm still paying the bills from my Lilly New York City trip...at first, I was just kidding about tagging along on Linda's Hamilton adventure...

Then, on a beautiful Saturday morning, I took Lilly and Warren to the Beaux Arts Fair at the Figge Art Museum. There was a dress I liked, but it cost $55. Altho I was very tempted...I walked away. THEN IT HIT ME.

I just saved $55....!!

Wow.  That was easy.

 So, I took another walk around to find something else I could NOT PURCHASE today.

I decided NOT to buy the necklace made out of a bullet casing ($38)

I also saved more money by NOT buying the pink flamingo metal sculpture ($79)

Good job, Rita.  So far, I saved $173.

THAT'S ALMOST ENOUGH TO PAY FOR MY HAMILTON TICKET..!!

Then, Warren said he was hungry -- and the food stand lemonade and pizza would have cost $35.

IT'S OFFICIAL!!   I'M OVER THE TOP, PEOPLE...

I took the kids home to eat peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. Then, I went online to buy that last Hamilton ticket!!

I AM SO EXCITED!!

5 comments:

  1. Wow! I know about Ritawear and RitaAccessories, and now there's Ritalogic!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet! Hamilton is part of our season package next year at the Paramount in Seattle. Jim bought the CD months ago and has every song practically memorized!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG!! Laura!! I was thinking about taking Lilly to Seattle next year for her 9th birthday. NOW I'VE GOT TO GET HAMILTON TICKETS...!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. okay -- nevermind, Seattle. There are no tickets available...except for $898.

    wow.

    ReplyDelete