Monday, July 17, 2017

Wild Rice Salad

When I stop to think about it, most of my friends are very good cooks.  We often exchange recipes, cooking tips, zucchini, etc.

My friend Marion loves to cook -- and she recently sent me a recipe for "Fruited Wild Rice Salad".  The fun thing is -- we BOTH BOUGHT wild rice when we were in Minnesota (visiting Mary).

High time I did something with that expensive little box of rice, eh?
Here's Marion, on our last road trip, we were at a Wisconsin Supper Club.

Fruited Wild Rice Salad: (this is a HUGE recipe -- it will feed 20 people)

Bring 5 3/4 cups of water and 10 0z of chicken broth to boil. Add 2 cups wild rice and 1 tbsp. of salt. Reduce heat to med. and simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 40 minutes.

Stir in 1 cup orzo during the last 5 minutes, adding up to 1/2 cup of water if orzo sticks to pan. Cool.

Stir in 2 cups dried cherries, 1 cup chopped green onions, 3/4 cup chopped pecans, 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley, and 1/2 cup diced celery. Cool and cover and refrigerate for up to a day.

Whisk together 1/3 cup white wine vinegar, 2 cloves garlic, minced, 1 tbsp. sugar, 2 tsp. dijon mustard, 1/2 cup vegetable oil, 1/3 cup olive oil. Drizzle over salad and toss. Season with salt and pepper.

Salad can be covered and refrigerated for up to a day, let it come to room temperature before serving.

Stir in 2 diced mangos or peaches, peeled and diced.


I made this salad on Sunday, July 2. Marion said it was better on the second day, so my plan was to go shopping on Monday, buy some mangos, and then serve it at our July 4th cookout. I cut the recipe in half (because we would only be a Party of 8)...I added the celery, and used both dried cherries and cranberries.  Also, I didn't have enough wild rice, so I used a bag of "wild rice mixed with long grain rice"...

Well -- IT TURNED OUT GREAT. It was so good, as a matter of fact...that the three of us -- me, John and Ross -- decided to sample it without the Mangos. Humm...pretty good...

By the morning of July 4th...the only thing left to serve was a bowl of chopped mangos.  The salad was all gone.

DELICIOUS!!
****************
MMWI: 237.4

No comments:

Post a Comment