Saturday, August 19, 2017

Helen Farro's Potato Salad

One of the reasons I am willing to suffer the Iowa HEAT and HUMIDITY is what it does for the garden.  My two favorite the hot weather crops are plentiful now.  Sweet corn and tomatoes...YUMMO...
There is nothing better than sweetcorn...and warm, fresh picked juicy ripe tomatoes...
Along with fresh eggs from our own chickens -- I am on my way to one of my favorite summer dishes...
Making the PERFECT hard boiled egg is a part of Grandma Camp.
Since she was three years old, Lilly has always loved slicing the eggs for this dish...
My mother-in-law, Helen Farro's green bean potato salad:
Helen's cooking was never so much about a recipe -- as it was about techniques or flavor. But here's the basic idea:

2 cups of cubed boiled, peeled potatoes
2 cups of chopped raw tomatoes
2 cups of cooked (crisp) green beans
1 cup of diced hard boiled eggs
1/2 c. sliced black olives
1/2 c. sliced green olives
1/2 c. chopped green onions

Dress it with your favorite vinaigrette...I like olive oil and Balsamic vinegar (3 parts oil to 1 part vinegar)...with some minced garlic and oregano.

The salad is best if it sits for an hour or so before serving. And it is GREAT the next day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment