Friday, September 8, 2017

Singer Featherweight Folding Table

I worry that all my Ritaluck stories sound the same...And I am a VERY LUCKY GIRL, there is no question about that. But part of my good luck is that I do not give up on a thing. Also, I like to think I put myself in luck's way -- by CONSTANTLY visiting thrift stores, and digging through piles of junk at estate sales and country auctions.

It's more than luck, people -- it is A DOGGED PERSEVERANCE.

Remember last year, when I found a Singer Featherweight AND a wooden folding table -- for sale for $350 in the Chicago area?  It took a village for me to get that table.  My cousin Jackie (In North Carolina) had to BUY it for me (using her PayPal account) -- and my friend Becky (in Illinois) had to go meet the guy in a parking lot to do the pick-up...
Becky felt like she was doing a drug deal...
I didn't actually need a SECOND Featherweight -- but I was DETERMINED TO GET THAT TABLE

In my ordinary life, I visit thrift stores four or five times every single week. I have my regular haunts...it's almost like a route.  For example -- I walk through the Salvation Army on Monday afternoon to pick up a few of their 4 for $1 sale items on my way home from the grocery store...I stop at the Goodwill every Tuesday after TMBC to check out their 88 cent deals...

And I check out the DAV (Disabled American Veterans) at least once a week.  They are very unorganized... and their prices can be wonky.  A sweater could be 90 cents...or, it could be $14.99.  There's never any rhyme or reason...

So, it was a typical day for me.  My cousin Jackie was leaving that day to go back to North Carolina, so we had an early breakfast at Ross's 24 hour joint.  (when we were younger, we hung out there until 3:00 AM, thinking we were soo cool).

After breakfast, I had a mammogram appointment (my insurance company is giving me gift certificates to get check-ups)...

Then, I had a little time to kill before I went to the YMCA...so, I decided to walk through the DAV. Because maybe I haven't been there for two weeks...and I'm looking for a sturdy folding table. To do puzzles on. Up in Ross's old room...which is vacant now and looking for a job..
I found a big bunch of tables...folded and leaning against a wall...perfect...exactly what I wanted...
Stuff in the furniture section is not very well marked...so I asked the kid working there how much the folding tables were? He went to ask his boss, who said $10 apiece. GREAT...

THAT'S WHEN I SAW IT...It took me a minute to realize what it was... but the second table in the stack was a wooden Singer Featherweight Table. OMG...These things sell all day long on ebay for $300. Last year, I was delighted to find one for $350 (but it did include a machine!).

As I was dealing with this reality...and trying to NOT jump up and down...the kid spotted this...
He said, "I have to talk to my boss...this one is marked $5..."
I'M THINKING...NO, NO, NO....$10 is fine....I WILL PAY $10....DON'T TALK TO YOUR BOSS...I DON'T WANT ANYBODY TAKING A CLOSE LOOK AT THIS TABLE...

When he came back, he said, "my boss said you can buy any of them for $5...."
Trying to remain calm, I said, "Great -- then I'll take the first two tables..."
The kid wrote up a ticket, and took my two $5 tables to the back door....I went up front to pay, and hurried to get in my car for the drive-around pick-up.
Of course, I immediately drove across town to show my bargain to Jackie!!  She took this picture so I could put it up on Facebook.
I actually did buy TWO tables for $10.
So -- THAT'S HOW RITALUCK works. It was the next day before I even thought about the fact that there might also be an actual Singer Featherweight at the DAV..!!  WHAT WAS I THINKING??  Nobody would have the table without the machine!!

I've been back five or six times...still no Featherweight...

BUT -- THE HUNT GOES ON..!!

1 comment:

  1. I thought Ritaluck was only fiding a good parking space. I yell "Ritaluck" whenever I do!!

    ReplyDelete