Thursday, November 9, 2017

Anne & Iowa City

We all know how much I enjoy a little day-trippin. But this Fall has been TOUGH. Ugh. I usually get together with my college chum, Becky...but we've had to cancel our plans three (or is it four?) times. She's babysitting for grandkids...so am I...WE'RE JUST TOO DAMN BUSY..!!

Then, I usually do a day trip with Deanna -- but I had to cancel twice (the engine in my car was recalled, I had no reliable wheels)...then, she had to cancel once...

Fingers crossed, we are still hoping to make it happen.

John and I always do a Wisconsin cheese tour for our anniversary -- and it's the perfect time to drive a few hours north to look at the Fall Foliage...but, for reasons I can no longer remember, THAT didn't happen either. (no, wait, it's coming to me...since Ross moved out, there's nobody to take care of Frank!)...

So, the ONLY REAL DAY TRIP I had this fall was to Iowa City to hook up with my young friend Anne.
This is an old picture of the two of us -- but you can see what sport we enjoy, right??
Iowa City is a quick one hour trip for me -- on Interstate #80.
There is one BEAUTIFUL Rest Area about halfway there.

During our Epic Road Trip several years ago, my Canadian friend, Marion, said "American Rest Areas are amazing...and you have so many of them! Tons of bathrooms that are clean as a whistle, beautiful picnic areas, free maps, water fountains. So well done!"
At this stage in my life, I usually stop at that Rest Area on my WAY into Iowa City -- and then, on my way HOME from Iowa City. It is perfectly positioned on I-80...

After we do a little treasure-hunting, Anne and I do lunch.   Because Iowa City is a college town, it is chock-full of interesting restaurant choices.
Anne is great with the Yelp search kind of things.  On this day -- we went to this little hole-in-the-wall place.
I had a wonderful sandwich/salad -- and Anne had toast.  At that point, she was fighting a sick headache.
But she soldiered on....AND I'M SO GLAD.
Anne and I often meet half-way for a visit ON THE SPUR OF THE MOMENT...and it is wonderful to have a friend who can be SPONTANEOUS.

No comments:

Post a Comment