Thursday, March 1, 2018

When Plan A Is A Bust...

My Saturdays belong to Lilly and Warren.  They spend the night on Friday, and Saturday -- we have adventures.  Which, depending on what's happening around town -- can mean just about anything.

Two weeks ago, Plan A was to go see a 1 PM play, Suesical the Musical.

As we stepped out of the house, I realized it was snowing. Hummm??

The weather man did NOT predict this. But -- hey -- we are a hearty bunch. WE LIVE IN IOWA, and I'm a good winter driver...so we got in the car and off we went...
But, as I turned on to the highway, I realized it had been snowing for some time -- and the crews hadn’t been out yet, so the roads were slick...

After the first ten miles, the roads were completely snow covered, and the winds were blowing so bad, there was zero visibility. I called John (using my perfectly legal Blue Tooth) to see if this was going to be a blizzard...(because he watches the weather channel like it's "Gone with the Wind")...

Happy to be of service, John told me: There’s a 60% chance of precipitation this afternoon.
 
Incredulous, I said, “Really??  LOOK OUT THE WINDOW!! There is a 100% chance we are having a blizzard. I'm asking how much snow they're calling for, because I don’t want to be sitting in a theater for the next two hours and come out to see a foot of snow...”

On our way to the theater, we saw several cars that had slid off the road, so I decided against Plan A.

At this point, it was just as dangerous to turn around to drive home.  I wanted to GET OFF THE ROAD.  So, Plan B was go to Steak and Shake and wait for the road crews to do their work.

The parking lot was JAMMED (kids eat free on weekends)...there was a huge line....Perfect. This will kill some time...
And one of the best things about Steak and Shake (other than the great $4 meals) is their excellent variety of KID ACTIVITIES.

No comments:

Post a Comment